This Bloody Mary Cottage Pie recipe serves up a slightly spicy, comforting beef stew topped with the world’s most delicious cheddar mashed potatoes. It is comfort in a bowl with mashed potatoes on top!
We all need comfort these days. During this confinement, I’m trying to walk a fine line between staying healthy and wanting to wrap my girls up in a blanket and never leave the couch. This comforting, scrumptious cottage pie is a meal the girls and I enjoyed last weekend, cuddled on the couch while binge watching Modern Family. Safe, warm and loved within our happy home. Our worries about what is happening outside just melted away like the cheddar cheese in this recipe.
This cottage pie recipe is by far the best on the market! I saw the dish years ago on a BBC cooking program and have made it ever since. You can add Tabasco and chili if preparing it for adults to enhance the Bloody Mary flavour. I skip the heat for my children who consider a grind of fresh pepper to be dynamite on a dish but I serve Tabasco on the side and enjoy the heat with a cold beer.
There may be a lot of uncertainty in the world right now but one thing remains true. Good hot food makes everyone feel better. Nourishing your family right now may help to keep the fears and anxiety at bay. Enjoy your time together. Take comfort in knowing that while we may be confined, there are definitely worse places to be than in your own home, with family and a hot cottage pie on the table.
And if you are looking for more comfort food please try this Pappardelle with Beef Ragu recipe. You won’t be disappointed!Print
Bloody Mary Cottage Pie with Cheddar Mash
The best EVER cottage pie!
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 1 hour 10 min
- Total Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes (optional)
- 1 lb/500g minced beef
- 1–2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 1–2 teaspoons Tabasco (optional)
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 14 oz/400g can Italian chopped tomatoes
- 1 pinch of celery salt
- salt and pepper
- 600g/ 1 1/3 lb potatoes for mashing
- 5 Tablespoons/75 ml milk
- 3 1/2 oz/100g butter
- 9 oz/250g cheddar cheese, grated
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium high heat. Add the onion, celery, carrot and garlic to the pan and saute until vegetables are beginning to soften, about 5 min. When the vegetables are soft add the (optional) chili flakes, stir for 30 seconds.
- Add the minced beef and cook until well browned, about 5 min.
- When the meat is browned add the Worcestershire, Tabasco, red wine, tomatoes, celery salt, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, lower the heat to medium and gently simmer for 35-40 minutes until thick and full of flavour.
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
- Meanwhile, peel the potatoes and cut them in to 2 inch pieces. Place in a large pot and cover with salted water. Bring to a boil and boil until fork tender. Drain.
- Using a potato masher mash the potatoes with the milk and butter. Fold in the grated cheddar cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the meat stew in to a shallow baking dish. Top the stew with the potatoes and spread out to evenly coat the pie.
- Bake in the oven for 30-40 min, until golden and bubbly.
Keywords: cottage pie, Bloody Mary cottage pie
Leave A Comment