Rotisserie chicken, sweet potatoes, asparagus and arugula make an easy and nutritious salad perfect for weeknight meals or packed office lunches. The creamy yogurt and whole grain mustard dressing is sinfully good without the sin!
As promised (or warned) I am posting a lot of asparagus recipes this month. Young asparagus is available in our local markets now in the south France and I am making the most of it. I’ve posted a recipe for Roasted Asparagus with Citrus Dressing and Asparagus and Pea Risotto. Now time for a salad!
The sun is shining, the birds are out, I’m packing away the winter coats. Time to start eating salads al fresco on the terrace with a glass of rose! The dreaded coronavirus has hit the south of France but “C’est la vie!” Life goes on and so do we…….Europe has been through far worse things than a bad flu! What I love most about where I live is the way people embrace life, family, food and the weather. Spring is here! Relax, enjoy, eat good food, drink good wine, and do it in the sun with those you love. Corona-who????
So back to the Chicken salad…..
Why not kick off spring with a healthy salad? Using rotisserie chicken makes this salad super easy. But if you are counting calories you can use boneless, skinless chicken breasts – baked, grilled or poached. The creamy dressing adds enough flavour that you won’t miss the rotisserie.
Sweet potato and asparagus are a lovely combination in this chicken salad because they are quite different, both in texture and flavour. However, you can cook them in the same way and on the same pan so less mess to clean up! Both are high in antioxidants and vitamins A & C – so great to consume during flu season!
The dressing I chose for my chicken, sweet potato and asparagus salad is a yogurt based dressing because it needs a bit of creaminess. I use whole grain mustard because I love the sweet earthiness of it but if you prefer dijon you can use that or do a combination of the two.
So, whether you are in the sunny south of France or cold New England this salad belongs on the menu this week. It’s easy and good for you and we all need a bit of comfort and nutrition right now! Enjoy it with a glass of red wine and find comfort in knowing you are doing your part to fight flu season!Print
- 1 rotisserie chicken
- 1 very large or 2 large sweet potatoes (700g/1.5 lb), peeled and cut into large bite size pieces
- 1 Tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 bunch of asparagus, ends trimmed
- 1/2 cup (118 ml) greek yogurt
- 4 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- 6 large handfuls of arugula (rocket)
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F
- Carve the chicken, discarding the skin and cut the meat in to slices. Place on a sheet of aluminium foil and wrap up in to a sealed parcel.
- Place the sweet potato on a baking sheet, drizzle and toss with 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil, season with salt and pepper and place in the oven to roast until soft with crisp edges. This should take about 20 minutes.
- After 12 minutes remove the pan from the oven. Push potatoes to one side. Lay out asparagus on the pan, drizzle with remaining 1/2 tablespoon olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place back in the oven until the asparagus is cooked but crisp and green and potatoes are soft, about 8-10 minutes.
- Place the chicken parcel in the oven and reheat gently 5-7 minutes.
- Make the dressing: Combine the yogurt, garlic, lemon juice and dill and stir to combine. Adjust with salt and pepper if needed.
- Toss the warm veggies and chicken together in a bowl. Stir in the mint. Place the arugula in a bowl or platter and top with the chicken mixture. Serve the dressing on the side.