My girls and I just got back from a few days of skiing in Italy. Every day I am grateful for where we live. During a February weekend on the Cote d’Azur you can spend Saturday sipping a glass of rose on the beach and Sunday skiing down the Alps. My favorite local resort is Limone Piemonte. (We are also lucky enough to have Italy on our doorstep.)
Limone is a great little ski resort centered around a quaint Italian village. We ski hard, eat hard and wash it all down with good Italian wine. The only down side to spending a week in Limone is the food. The food is good. The food is inexpensive. The food is 180% CARBOCENTRIC. Pizza, pasta, gnocchi, polenta, risotto. And when you feel like having something lighter – panini. Salads simply don’t exist.
So, when I came home yesterday and made my trip to the grocery store I promised myself a week without carbs. As I’ve said, I’m not very good at maintaining diets but I do feel like I have consumed enough starch to feed an African child for months so a few days without won’t kill me.
Salmon is the one fish my girls like so I’m always looking for new ways to change it up. I came across this recipe on Pinterest and it’s a winner. It’s not exactly low fat so I can’t see it burning off the kilo I have gained in Limone but it does meet my requirements of no carbs. And my girls gave it a double thumbs up so I thought I should share. Kid Approved and Done In 20 minutes. Chi-ching!
And please, if you like this recipe maybe your friends will too so please share! Sharing is caring! At the bottom of the page are those little icons where you can share to Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, etc – just click! Thanks!!!
- 4 salmon filets
- olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1½ cups (250g) cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 cups (large handfuls) baby spinach
- ½ cup (118 ml) heavy cream (creme entiere)
- ¼ cup (4 tablespoons) grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup chopped basil
- Season the salmon on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan until hot but not smoking.
- Place the salmon in the pan, skin side up, and sear over medium high heat until golden brown, about 6 minutes.
- Flip over to skin side. Raise heat and carefully sear the skin for 1-2 minutes until crisp.
- Remove Salmon from pan and set aside.
- Melt butter in pan over medium high heat.
- Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes and saute until the skins are beginning to pop, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add spinach and stir until just beginning to wilt.
- Add cream and parmesan cheese and bring to a simmer. Lower heat and simmer 2-3 minutes, until slightly thickened.
- Add salmon back to the pan and ladle sauce over the top
- Cook a few minutes over medium heat until salmon is cooked to desired temperature.
- Sprinkle over basil and serve salmon with sauce spooned on top.
Leave A Comment