Banana bread should taste like one thing – bananas. Moist, sweet, and delicious. The best banana bread recipe has only 7 ingredients. Bananas, flour, sugar, eggs, oil, vanilla and baking soda. That’s it. Why mess with something so simple when it is sooooooo good?
Have a look at the photo above. Ok, so I’m crafting a new trade (photography) and the photo could be better. But what I want you to focus on is the chunks of moist banana in that slice of what I have deemed to be the best banana bread ever. (I might add that I alone did not name it as such. I have had more clients than I can count cry out, “Oh my god this is amazing! Get this way from me before I eat the whole loaf!”) There are actual chunks of moist bananas in every bite. It’s divine.
The Best Banana Bread….
This is the best banana bread recipe because of its simplicity. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. If something so simple is so good, why would you make it more complicated? There are recipes out there for banana bread with chocolate chips, cranberries, white chocolate, glaze, etc. I’m going to be a complete culinary snob and say: “If you need to add that s**t to your banana bread that’s because you don’t have a good banana bread in the first place!” Banana bread should taste like one thing….bananas….keep your chocolate chips for cookies.
We’ve had a healthy January. Lots of soups and salads. But yesterday was Sunday. Sunday Is Funday. So when I woke up and saw a bunch of overripe bananas in the fruit basket my girls were delighted to hear me say, “I guess we need to make banana bread today!” The only problem with this banana bread is that it’s too good. Because today is Monday and already….the banana bread is gone.
But, if you are stronger willed than I and you are sticking to our healthy January with no Sunday Funday but still want something sweet you can try these healthy chocolate coconut balls instead.Print
The Best Banana Bread Recipe
The recipe calls for 3 large bananas. That could mean 4 medium. Yesterday I made it with 5 small bananas. It all depends on size.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 50 min
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 12 slices 1x
- Category: Bread
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 3 large or 4 medium overripe bananas
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat the oven to 350F/180C
- Peel the bananas and place them in a medium bowl. Mash to a purée with a potato masher or fork.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the oil, sugar, eggs and vanilla.
- In a small bowl combine the flour and baking soda and whisk.
- Add half of the banana and half of the flour to the bowl with the eggs and oil and stir. Add the rest of the banana and flour and stir until well combined.
- Lightly grease a loaf pan (I use silicone ones for ease) with either spray, oil or butter and pour the batter in to the loaf pan.
- Place in the oven on the middle rack and cook until a toothpick inserted in to the top middle of the loaf comes out clean. This usually takes 50 minutes to 1 hour.
- Allow to cool slightly before slicing and enjoying.
Do not scoop your flour up with the measuring cup. You run the risk of over packing the cup. Instead, scoop the flour into the measuring cup using a soup spoon.
Keywords: Best Banana bread recipe